[gentium] font variants for pdflatex

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu May 25 23:54:39 CEST 2023

Using otftotfm sounds sensible to me, FWIW. Seems like Eddie already did
all the hard work there, so why not use it ...

    I'd like to wait for the next release of the fonts that should add
    many more kerning pairs.

Has Victor ever confirmed that he's going to add your kern pairs?
I don't remember him ever clearly saying he would do it, but maybe I'm
just forgetting.

    It might be useful to put those scripts to the repository (probably
    some development branch) and see whether they are more flexible than
    the current Ruby scripts and whether they have some
    disadvantages. What do you think about it, Karl (and Mojca if you
    are still there)?

By all means, feel free to add whatever to the repo. Instead of making a
new branch at the repo level, my gut reaction is to keep it simple and
just put the new stuff in a new subdir of source/fonts/gentium-tug.
But if that's not ideal, no problem to make a branch, of course.

Thanks,
Karl