[edutex] Seeking feedback on a beginner's guide to LaTex

Matt Kline matt at bitbashing.io
Thu Feb 15 04:19:50 CET 2018

Hi Karl,

> My general comment is: more examples, less text.

I tried to provide a quick example for almost every feature I mention.
Could you elaborate a bit? Do you think it needs more document examples,
instead of the small snippets it has now? I'm not sure how I'd structure that
offhand, but I'm curious what you have in mind.

> There is no point in discussing microtypography at all with xelatex. It
> only supports kerning, not font expansion, which is the interesting part.

Unless I'm mistaken, XeTeX also supports character protrusion.
It's certainly not as... prominent as font expansion, but it is helpful.

I'm trying to write something that isn't just a "how to" guide, but also a bit
of a sales pitch for what sets LaTeX apart from Word, LibreOffice, etc.,
Microtypography seems worth mentioning for a page or two for this reason.

Cheers,
Matt