[edutex] Introduction

Claire Connelly cmc at math.hmc.edu
Mon Sep 12 22:19:58 CEST 2016

Following on Boris's message,

1. (& 2.) I'm Claire Connelly.  I'm the sysadmin for the math department
at Harvey Mudd College (in Claremont, CA).  In addition to sysadmin
work, I have gotten myself involved with the department's senior thesis
program, do some general LaTeX support at the college whenever asked,
and have written thesis and Clinic report classes, along with several
other LaTeX document classes for various things (e.g., the icmmcm class
for the MCM competition).

3. I've been using LaTeX since 1998 or 1999, as I'd heard cool things
about it, my partner was working on her dissertation (in LaTeX), and it
appealed to my interest in books and typography.  But I learned much of
what I know about LaTeX from editing the third edition of George
Grätzer's _Math into LaTeX_, which happened after I'd responded to
George's request for feedback on his _First Steps in LaTeX_.  In
addition to the copyediting, I also learned a lot about typesetting,
TeX, and indexing (never again, I hope).

4. I would love to have good resources to point people at that will help
them to learn how to use TeX and friends, and, I dearly hope, to do so
in a way that encourages them to write good, clear, clean code.

5. As with Boris, I can write and edit, do some software (Perl,
especially; also Debian and RPM packaging), and provide feedback.  I
also have access to a group of faculty and students to experiment on,
and I might be able to get the college or the department to support
hosting materials.

I'm looking forward to seeing how things go and helping where I can!

    Claire

Claire Connelly                              cmc at math.hmc.edu
System Administrator                           (909) 621-8754
Department of Mathematics                 Harvey Mudd College

Send problem reports or requests to request at math.hmc.edu.
For System News: http://twitter.com/hmcmathcomp/.