[edutex] My way of teaching of LaTeX

Duvvuri Venu Gopal dvgtex at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 06:59:23 CEST 2016

Hello all

I started teaching LaTeX in Banaras Hindu University, India in the year
2005. Regarding this I wrote an article in PracTeX journal also.

>From then onwards I am conducting workshops/training programmes on LaTeX at
Banaras Hindu University (twice or thrice a year) and other institutions on
invitation.

My workshops are of hands on nature and are attended by 40 students in a
programme. Most of them are research scholars or Postgrad students.

I follow LaTeX Tutorials prepared by TUG India in 2002. My
lectures/demonstrations are as follows :

1) Installing ProTeXt and TeX Studio on windows machines and configuring
them.
2) Introductory LaTeX document and conventions followed in preparing the
.tex file (tutorial 1 & 2 of LaTeX Tutorials). What are the benefits of
LaTeX in comparison to wordprocessors (by example of \tableofcontents,
\listoftables & article and amsart classes).
3) Bibliography, Using BibTeX, creating bibliography data files using
JabRef or other software. Introducing packages and where to find the
documentation for these packages.
4) Mathematics
5) Tables (tabular)
6) Inserting Graphics (table and figure environments)
7) Creating presentations using Beamer
8) Creating long documents like thesis, report (with report and thesis
classes)
9) Some other opensource software like gnuplot etc. for creating plots etc.
and by showing VisualFAQ what we can accomplish and what are the packages
needed for that.

In Banaras Hindu University (BHU) these classes are held in evenings, one
lecture one day for 6 - 10 days. Outside BHU 10 lectures in 3 days.

By the end of the training the students will be able to write their papers.

Now the research scholars in the Deptt. of Statistics and Deptt. of
Mathematics of our University prepare their papers and Thesis using LaTeX
only and many forgot about Word!!!

--
Duvvuri VLKDP Venu Gopal
Asstt. Registrar, I.Ag.Scs. &