[edutex] Some expeirence of teaching LaTeX to high school students

July Tikhonov july.tikh at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 19:56:12 CEST 2016

Boris Veytsman told me that this may be of interest to Russian subscribers…

I had 8 hours (in a span of 4 days) teaching a small group of 14yo students
(8th grade of Russian school) with a combination of LaTeX and Asymptote.

The plan was to introduce them to an example project with minimal
configuration, and explain basics like where are comments and what is
preamble and where is the document.
After that, I got them to copy the project and type some problems (taken
from their olympiadic math courses, actually) with solutions; since the
group was small, I could mentor each of them on using relevant LaTeX
constructs, Russian language constructs and style, and Asymptote.

Here are example projects I used (all in Russian):
Part 1: https://www.overleaf.com/read/phsnfnzsbrxh
Part 2: https://www.overleaf.com/read/kvdmrqrntfxn

here is some of what I got as a result
https://www.overleaf.com/read/vtvtvtcrjntm
(the \kratno definition I provided to them)

--
July Tikhonov