[twg-tds] font map and encoding files

Thomas Esser te@dbs.uni-hannover.de
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 21:35:23 +0100

> You're forgetting about ttfonts.map and the encoding files associated to
> ttf2{tfm,pk}.  IMHO it would be better to set things up so that people
> can keep their ttf and PS enc/map files separate.  I think.  (I'm not
> sure about whether a ttf enc file would be useless as a type1 map file.)

I am not sure if a separation into ttf/ps makes sense for map files /
enc files. pdftex, for example can handle ps and ttf fonts, so pdftex's
map files can have entries for both at the same time.

I have already suggested to provide subdirectories for map files, so
some tool could have a searchpath of e.g.
  .:texmf/fontmap/<some tool>:texmf/fontmap/generic:texmf/fontmap//

As for the enc files: are there really file with the same name in
the ps/ttf worlds which would conflict here? In that case, I suggest
to have something like texmf/fontenc/ps and texmf/fontenc/ttf,
so we can put the files at their approriate place.

>From the first reactions, I get the impression, that the idea is very
welcome in general...

Thomas