Some comments on TDS

Chee-Wai Yeung TWG-TDS@SHSU.edu
Mon, 13 Nov 1995 22:28:21 +0800 (HKT)

I am looking at the latest TDS draft. While I have structured my new setup
very closely resembles the TDS (basically using teTeX 0.33pl8 with some minor
adjustments), I have a concern about the usage of the *misc* directory for
single file packages. My concern lies in the fact that some of the single
file packages may *eventually* grow to become multiple files packages and may
also have the filenames changed for the newer versions. It is still possible
for tex maintainers to leave the older version of single files behind and just
put in newer versions of the package. It can result in tex still searches and
uses old versions (if misc comes before in the search path).

I agree that nesting a single file under a single directory will surely
increase the overall searching time/work/traffic, but to me putting everything
under a misc directory still defeats the idea of a directory structure that
eases maintenance.

One more thought about the draft. I don't think it is appropriate to specify a
reserved tmp directory under the tex hierarchy for dynamically-generated fonts.
I would suggest that this should be left for the TeX maintainer's own
discretion.  Like in our env, the tex directory is not world writable and thus
auto-generated fonts will have to be placed somewhere else.

Please advise on my comments.
Thanks in advance,
Chee Wai

--