A concern regarding texmf/doc/{html,info}

K. Berry TWG-TDS@SHSU.edu
Mon, 4 Dec 1995 06:23:25 -0500

I agree with Matthew that the html/ and info/ directories are unlike the
rest, but I think they might still serve a useful purpose. A
dir/index.html file in every doc directory would be just as painful,
wouldn't it? You'd have to specify all those directories in the
info-path ...

System administrators will put such generated files wherever they want,
anyway. We cannot specify an absolute-for-all-sites location.

There has never been a requirement that html/info files go in their
respective directories; it's just that we reserved those names for those
purposes, since some people seemed to want to organize things that
way. The current draft says in about fifty places that directories can
be omitted if a site desires. I suppose we could make it 51.
(However, I would not want to make such a small editorial change for the
TUGboat printing, but rather save it for 1.0.)

If the draft said `put your html and info files in the package doc
directory', along with the Texinfo source or whatever, I think people
would complain.

don't use them.