Re: Math Arrows and Harpoons

I made a classification of those arrows: It means that that I think that
most (if not all) of the arrows may be generated by the rules below.
Conversely, one can see from the classification what principle I think lies
behind the construction of the different arrows.

  Clearly just a draft, but perhaps of some help.

    Arrow components: Head, Shaft, Tail.

    Head

    none
    simple                      002
    double                      015
    triple                      ->>>
    harpoon-[up,down]           [038,039]
    triangle (or unfilled)      180

    Shaft shape

    simple                              002
    double                              053
    triple                              065
    bend-[up,down]                      033
    bend-twice-[up,down]                [120,?]
    bend-3-[up,down]                    [?,122]
    circle-[clockwise,anti-clockwise]   [188,187]
    wiggly                              126
    zigzag                              211

    Shaft Bend: An arrow can bend sharply at need.

    corner-[up,down]                    [028,029]
    smooth corner-[up,down]             [130,131]

    Shaft continuity

    continuous      002
    broken          193

    Shaft length: The shaft may come in different lengths, but
as far as I know, it does not affect the semantic meaning of the
arrow.

    Shaft style

    ----        continuous      002
    -- -- --    long dashed     073
    - - -       dashed          075
    ....        dotted          077

    Shaft ornament

    slash (negation)        011
    vertical                175
    circle                  179
    cross                   172

    Tail

    none                    002
    simple                  018
    double                  117
    triple                  >>>--
    vertical                019
    hook-[up,down]          [080,082]
    double-hook (fish-tail) 088
    loop-[up,down]          [026,?]
    fork                    199
    circle                  012

    Compound Arrows:

o   Two can be laid side by side (050).
o   The arrows can then have different size (169).
o   The shaft can have a label (on either side) (145, 138,139).
o   The head can point directly to another symbol (136).
o   The tail can point directly to another symbol (203).
o   An arrow can be drawn on top of another arrow (194).
o   Perhaps replace [up,down] by [clockwise,anti-clockwise]
    (or [positive,negative] direction of turn).

    Spurios Symbols

200 Perhaps a shaft with an ornament.
204 Not an arrow or an arrow-component as it stands.

  Hans Aberg
                  * Email: Hans Aberg <mailto:haberg@member.ams.org>
                  * Home Page: <http://www.matematik.su.se/~haberg/>