Re: BSR CM type 1 arrows, StMaryRd, and RSFS

Hi:

At 04:17 PM 98/03/09 +0100, Ulrik Vieth wrote:

>> after switching to type 1 fonts for my TeX installation, I found the
>> following issues still unresolved:

>> 1) The BSR CM fonts have arrows in the old style. I contacted BSR,
>> which sent me to AMS: no answer from AMS.

>Someone at AMS _should_ be able to give answer (unless the relevant
>people are on holiday right now, or too busy with other projects).

The CM fonts freely available under AMS copyright have the revised
CMSY* and CMBSY10 fonts with the changed delta, and changed
arrows.  At the time that arrangement was made, it was not realized
that Knuth actually made changes that affected *all* CM fonts.

Since then, Y&Y has revised their versions of the CMMI* and CMMIB*
fonts (and added the `missing' `in between' sizes).  It's far too
much work to go and redo all of CM.   Fortunately the only serious
changes are in CMSY* and CMMI*...

>> 2) StMaryRoad and RSFS fonts are not available in type 1 format.

>The StMaryRoad font is an independent development of Alan Jeffrey
>and Jeremy Gibbons, which presumably isn't considered part of the
>mainstream distributions.  If there doesn' exist a Type 1 version
>yet, I'm afraid there won't be too many font suppliers interested
>in producing one.

>The RSFS font is yet another independent development.  I'm not sure
>if a Type 1 version exists, but I believe I have seen a message
>from Berthold Horn on comp.text.tex some time ago on this topic.
>Did Y&Y really produce a Type 1 version of RSFS or am I mistaken?

The `TeX Pi' font set will include RSFS, BBOLD, WASY2 and St.
Mary's Road in Type 1 format (but not all sizes).  These are all
rarely used fonts for which there is very little demand.  The font
set isn't quite done yet, which is why it doesn't show up on the
web page --- but RSFS and BBOLD are finished, some of the
WASY2 fonts are done and there is work on St. Mary's Road.
As you can imagine this was not a top priority project for Y&Y...

Regards, Berthold Horn.