Re: on upright lowercase greek

Concernant « Re: [vieth@thphy.uni-duesseldorf.de: MF hackery on upright lowercase greek] », Ulrik Vieth écrit :

 > As for the KD fonts, I don't know in how far they are visually
 > compatible with CM fonts.

not very far ;-) it's a common mistake to say that Didot greek lives
well with didones, Didot greek was designed by Firmin Didot's son :
Ambroise Firmin-Didot, and its contrast matches rather transitional
fonts (for instance, it mixes perfectly with a genuine Caslon (like
adobe's, _not_ ITC).

However combining Didot letters with Firmin-Didot greek has been in
general use in France until recently. On the other hand, the somewhat
mannered or ironic design of CM with respect to didot makes it more
difficult to mix with anything else than CM...

> (similar to upright d for differentials), upright pi
 > for the mathematical constant (similar to upright e and upright i).

we discussed these issues somewhere else, it appeared that -- at least
in France -- there is an official  norm precising that e, i & d should
be set in italic!

What is the consensus on `national traditions': to have a generic
encoding, and have different fonts according to different usages? or
do you think they simply should vanish in favor of a unique
debabelized maths convention?

   Thierry Bouche.       -----       thierry.bouche@ujf-grenoble.fr
          http://www-fourier.ujf-grenoble.fr/~bouche/