Re: comments on mathfont-0.5

Nelson Beebe wrote:

> When I use M-x add-change-log-entry or M-x add-change-log-entry-other-window (on
> C-x 4 a), I get a ChangeLog entry like this:
>
> Tue Sep  2 08:51:34 1997  Nelson H. F. Beebe  <beebe@plot79.math.utah.edu>
>
> The date is in the UNIX "date" command format, though missing the time
> zone that "date" normally provides.

> Although possibly less desirable than the ISO form 1997/09/02 08:51:34
> (or something close to that), at least there is no confusion between
> the month and day, as so often happens when you see a date like
> 02/09/1997, where Americans and Europeans disagree.

> Since I've lived on both continents, I avoid the problem by using
> named, rather than numbered, months: 02-Sep-1997, a style that Digital
> Equipment Corporation has been using for decades.

Some weeks ago I briefly tested GNU Emacs 20.0.91 and it appears that
they are switching to a different ChangeLog format.  Thus, in future,
you'll be getting something like:

*** lisp/ORIG/ChangeLog Fri Jul 18 00:18:07 1997
--- lisp/ChangeLog      Wed Jul 23 11:39:51 1997
***************
*** 1,3 ****
--- 1,10 ----
+ 1997-07-23  Ulrik Vieth  <vieth@thphy.uni-duesseldorf.de>
+
+       * textmodes/meta-mode.el (metafont-mode):  Add autoload cookie.
+       (metapost-mode): Add autoload cookie.
+
+       * files.el (auto-mode-alist): Add ".mf" and ".mp" for meta-mode.el.
+

Note that (a) they no longer record a time stamp which usually wasn't
very precise anyway since multiple entries made on the same date were
collected under the same heading and (b) they are switching to purely
numerical ISO date format, presumably because it does not depend on
language-specific month names and is thus more in line with the trend
towards I18N.  You may not like it, but it's very likely to become
the new de facto standard once GNU Emacs 20.1 comes out.

Sorry for the bad news.

Cheers, Ulrik.