re to mike downes.

I agree totally, and i feel like saying at last somebody understands my
point !

<<<<
Given that is impractical to change TeX, I think Alan's suggestion to
perpetuate Knuth's hack by keeping two sizes of the large operators in
the cmex encoding, is the best solution for the time being. This means
that for users who choose to load three different sizes of cmex for each
base size, the `large' versions of the operators in the scriptstyle
and scriptscriptstyle fonts will be wasted font positions, as Justin
pointed out. But this seems like a smaller price to pay than the
alternatives.

I would not like people to think that I was suggesting to change tex !

I too have thought from the beginning that we should perpatuate the hack.
I just wanted to make sure we new all the implications of such a decision,
that all.

JZ