Composite character subscripts

Discussion the last couple of days has lamented that

$X_\rightarrow$

works fine, but

$X_\longrightarrow$

dies with an error.  The fix is trivial: instead of plain.tex's

\def\longrightarrow{\relbar\joinrel\rightarrow}

just use

\def\longrightarrow{{\relbar\joinrel\rightarrow}}

The extra pair of braces in the definition provide the necessary protection,
and it seems to me, should be retrofitted into all glyph definitions to
avoid nasty surprises like the current situation produces.

Is this unreasonable, or am I overlooking some case where it will fail?

Nelson H. F. Beebe                      Tel: +1 801 581 5254
Center for Scientific Computing         FAX: +1 801 581 4148
Department of Mathematics, 105 JWB      Internet: beebe@math.utah.edu
University of Utah
Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA