more info

as an answer to Martin Ward

Yes there will be new symbols. Input is needed foe them. They can't just
be invented !

<<<
To see why it is important to have the same set of design sizes for
all the fonts, try typesetting a \Huge \Longrightarrow in standard
LaTeX. The \Longrightarrow is composed of an = (from cmr) and a
short arrow => (from cmsy). At size \Huge the = comes from cmr17
but the => comes from a scaled cmsy10, and the two symbols don't
line up properly. I fixed this by creating cmsy12 and cmsy17 from
the Sauter Metafont files.

The whole idea of a new encoding, is to correct that sort of problem,
by providing glyphs that have a purpose. (ei: arrow construction) And are
not used in a hackers way.

Don't mis understand me, that is not the only motivation.

ALAN:
 maybe you should sent out the update of your document about the
reasons of this job on the new encoding. I see you have already sent that
one. I think you have an other one that might be of some interest, so that
people understand what we are looking for.