[yandytex] Installing Y&Y TeX on Windows Vista

Herbert Gintis hgintis at comcast.net
Thu Jan 3 13:22:43 CET 2008

This is an amplification of a previous posting:

Dear Y&Y'ers,
         Installing on Vista wasn't hard.
         First, install as per the Y&Y distribution (I used version 2.2).
         Read carefully all the warnings and suggestions offered
during installation.
         I had to find the PSFONTS=  environment variable, where the
pfb files are stored,
and enter it into dviwindo.ini myself.
         Do not use Adobe Type Manager to install type 1 fonts.
         Use Vista's font manager. It works fine. You have to tell it
where to look for type 1 fonts. In my case, they are in the directory
c:\psfonts\pfm.
         To access Vista's font manager, go to Control Panel, choose
the Classical View, then click on Fonts. Under the File menu item,
click on "Install new font". Browse to locate the folder holding the
pfm fonts, choose Select All, and then Install.
         If you upgrade Vista, you will have to repeat this process.
         There are a few fonts that Vista would not load. They are
considered obsolete by other TeX vendors (e.g., PCTeX). These include
"tir" and "tio" (and probably "tirsc").
         I had to fiddle with the printer settings, but that's
probably a local thing...

Best,

Herb

Herbert Gintis
Santa Fe Institute and
Central European University
15 Forbes Avenue, Northampton, MA 01060
413-586-7756  (Home Office) 775-402-4921 (Fax)
Recent papers are posted on my
<http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~gintis>web
<http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~gintis>site.

Quote of the Week: