[yandytex] Y&Y TeX and Vista

J. R. Setti jrasetti at usp.br
Wed Dec 10 13:46:51 CET 2008

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 12:54, <nberk at nist.gov> wrote:

> I've installed my Y&Y TeX distribution (ca. 1998) on Vista Home
> Premium (x64), following Herb Gintis's instructions, more or less.
>
> 1) When I attempt to invoke DVIwindow from WinEDT, I get the message
> "Too Many TT Fonts installed", and it won't run. I do have lots of
> fonts, largely from some Broderbund software. There are way too many
> of these to uninstall by hand, and I do use that other software. Is
> this some built-in limitation of dviwindo? Am I dead in the water?

I don't use Vista, but I will try to make some suggestions that might help
you
or not.

I believe that the TT-font related message is produced by WinEdt. The
version
you are using is quite old, perhaps not even the WinEdt32. I think the old
versions of Windows programs had a limit on the number of fonts they could
handle.

> 2) When I double-click the WinEDT (v. 1.414) icon, sometimes nothing
> happens, but it always loads when I double-click a .tex file icon. Is
> this a Vista "thing"? Would it be helpful to get a more recent version
> of WinEdt?

I believe so. The most recent version is 5.4, I believe.

> 3) Herb Gintis mentions not to use ATM but he does indicate that he
> has .pfm files. Where did these come from, since they're no on the Y&Y
> distribution CD. To my knowledge, Vista can use Type 1 fonts without
> .pfm files, and the installed Type 1 fonts do show up and display in
> the Vista Fonts folder and (at least some of them) in some other apps.

I got them from CTAN, as I originally only purchased Lucida and Times from
Y&Y.

> 4) Should I give up on Y&Y and try MikTeX or PCTex?

Maybe we all should... but MikTeX and PCTeX are still a lot worse than my
Y&Y.
I have made copies of the installation CD and will hold on to it as long as
I can,
but the ranks are thinning quickly.

--jrs.