[yandytex] Installing Y&Y on Vista

Ganz, Frank, Springer US Frank.Ganz at springer.com
Sat Sep 29 00:15:32 CEST 2007

Hello All:

Opening up the .pfm file for tir, which is the font file name on PCs of
the Type 1 font with PostScript name /Times-Roman, reveals that Linotype
produced them and hold the copyright of this font. In some
correspondence I've had with Linotype earlier this year, I've learned
that they have indeed improved the Times font family and regard them as
obsolete.

However, this does not mean that the old ones wouldn't work anymore,
esp. since one would need to produce TFM files that match the PFMs that
go with the newer versions.

It is my understanding that PCTeX supports TrueType fonts rather than
Type 1 fonts and so that might explain why one does not get the Type 1
version of fonts that are now considered obsolete by the font foundry.

Thanks,
Frank