[yandytex] Installing Y&Y on Vista

Ganz, Frank, Springer US Frank.Ganz at springer.com
Sat Sep 29 00:24:17 CEST 2007

In case this is of interest to the group, here the response from Linotype in my inquiry about a font purchase of the Times font family:

thank you for your request to Linotype.

In end 2002 we have updated almost our entire font library. Updates included mostly a correction of copyright and trademark entries, addition of missing Euro glyphs and lots of bugfixes.

Most important changes where made to the font naming and encoding. The font menu name will now include an "LT" making it possible to distinguish between fonts, which have not been updated. PostScript fonts will now have a 'standard encoding' making them more compatible when creating PS files.

We recommend that you update all of your fonts. Our fonts are strictly produced according to Microsoft and Adobe guidelines. This will ensure that the fonts can be used with almost all latest applications and operating systems in your workflow.

Kind regards,

Dear Mr. Ganz,

thank you for your request to Linotype. Please excuse the delay in answering your request.

The PostScript names for our Times are

TimesLT Roman

TimesLT Italic

TimesLT Bold

TimesLT Bold Italic

The attached Screenshot shows you how the installed fonts appear in the Word application. The PostScript names can be also seen on our website. Just select a certain font and scroll down. You will find all the file names and PostScript names listen as you can see in the attached Screenshot2.

Please keep in mind that modifying licensed font files are strictly prohibited as it si stated in our license agreements. The detailed license agreement you can find at: http://www.linotype.com/1710/licenseagreement.html <http://www.linotype.com/1710/licenseagreement.html>

I think what is striking you is the LT (for LinoType) in the font name.

In end 2002 we have updated almost our entire font library. Updates included mostly a correction of copyright and trademark entries, addition of missing Euro glyphs and lots of bugfixes.

Most important changes where made to the font naming and encoding. The font menu name will now include an "LT" making it possible to distinguish between fonts, which have not been updated. PostScript fonts will now have a 'standard encoding' making them more compatible when creating PS files.

If you are in need ot the fonts without the LT in the name it seemas that you are working with older fonts and we recommend you to update all of your fonts.

Our fonts are strictly produced according to Microsoft and Adobe guidelines.

This will ensure that the fonts can be used with almost all latest applications and operating systems in your workflow.

There are a lot of possibilities of customizing a font or changing a font name to something suitable. If you are interested in such a service please let us know.

Kind regards,

Ivan Seneka

Linotype GmbH

Du-Pont-Strasse 1

61352 Bad Homburg

Germany

phone: +49 6172.484 - 418

fax: +49 6172.484 - 5418

info at linotype.com

www.linotype.com <outbind://18/www.linotype.com>

Geschäftsführer/Managing Director: Frank Wildenberg Sitz Bad Homburg, HRB 10375, Amtsgericht Bad Homburg Commercial Register of the Bad Homburg Local Court, HRB 10375

This e-mail message and any accompanying documentation is intended for the addressee only and may contain legally privileged and confidential information. If you are not the addressee any use of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify us immediately by reply e-mail or telephone call on +49 6172 484 418 and delete this e-mail from your systems.