[yandytex] Installing Y&Y on Vista

Christina Thiele cthiele at ccs.carleton.ca
Fri Sep 28 23:24:32 CEST 2007

Herbert Gintis wrote:
 > Dear Y&Y'ers,
 >         Installing on Vista wasn't hard.
 >         First, install as per the Y&Y distribution (I used version 2.2).
 >         Read carefully all the warnings and suggestions offered during
 > installation.
 >         I had to find the PSFONTS=  environment variable, where the pfb
 > files are stored,
 > and enter it into dviwindo.ini myself.
 >         Do not use Adobe Type Manager to install type 1 fonts.
 >         Use Vista's font manager. It works fine. You have to tell it
 > where to look for type 1 fonts. In my case, they are in the directory
 > c:\psfonts\pfm.
 >         There are a few fonts that Vista would not load. They are
 > considered obsolete by other TeX vendors (e.g., PCTeX). These include
 > "tir" and "tio" (and probably "tirsc").
 >         I had to fiddle with the printer settings, but that's probably a
 > local thing...
 >
 > Best,
 >
 > Herb

Wow! This is really reassuring -- and thanks to Don Story for the
initial tip! I've got a laptop from ca 1999 which came with XP, got
trashed and Win98 was then put on it. I had Y&YTeX on both times
... and have just finished a very large book which needed Baskerville
fonts ... it was a snap getting them installed for Y&YTeX ... I'm
still waiting for them to be installed on my beloved unixbox ;-(

In any event, it made me realise that I do indeed need to keep Y&YTeX
around for just such emergencies ... and yet I had this enormous VISTA
wall staring me in the face ... if anyone else has tips on doing what
Herbert's done, I'd love to see them here, so I can keep 'em around
for when they'll be needed.

I do have a few questions ...

1. why do you say 'tir' and `tio' and all the other Times fonts are
    `obsolete'? Has Times undergone some sort of upgrade, so that one
    has to get/buy new fonts? I did indeed purchase tirsc, so this
    isn't an idle question!

2. You wrote:
    > Read carefully all the warnings and suggestions offered during
    > installation.

    Um ... which warnings and suggestions?! I've got both the manuals
    and the Tenhical Addendum for 2.2.3 and 2.2.8 ... Then I have a
    bunch of printouts on 8.5 x 11 paper, with such filenames as
    news.txt, instextr.txt, editlink.txt, CTinstal.txt, various
    `README.TXT' printouts (Oh, Berthold, why did you not DATE these
    things?! Not to mention use unique filenames! ;-)) )

Well, I should stop. It's not like I'm going to get a new laptop next
Tuesday or anything like that!! But still ... with Vista being the
only game in town for new machines, I have to say I'm relieved and
reassured to see this thread turn up.