[yandytex] y&y progress

Christina Thiele cthiele at ccs.carleton.ca
Tue Nov 14 14:58:38 CET 2006

Karl Berry wrote:
 > I see I posted my last insufficient progress note on September 5.
 > Guess it's time to do that again :(.  I've been through almost all the
 > files now, but a few remain, and then I have to put it together into
 > something that can be rationally uploaded.
 >
 > Just to be clear, the result of my efforts is not going to be a usable
 > system; I'm not in a position to make that happen (I can't compile
 > Windows binaries, for one thing).  So I hope volunteers will still
 > be interested in putting it all together when the time comes.
 >
 > Given the need to produce TeX Live by the end of the year, my current
 > next hope will be January 2007 :(.  Regrets, but that's life.
 >
 > Regards to all,
 > Karl
 > --

Thanks for the update, Karl.

Sounds like you're approaching the end, so perhaps time for us to
start thinking about getting a working group started up, maybe as of
January 2007.

Even before the files become available, some prep work could begin on,
say, what features of past 2.2.* versions one liked/disliked, what
core TeX upgrades have to be checked out, how much work it would be to
migrate Y&YTeX over becoming CTAN-compliant.

Things like that. A wish list sort of activity, just to get the juices
going. Could be a pretty interesting sandbox to play in ;-)