[yandytex] Switch from Y&Y to ...?

Murray Eisenberg murray at math.umass.edu
Tue Jan 31 18:22:37 CET 2006

Yes, I'm well aware that MiKTeX is bundled in proTeXt.  I believe my
use of MiKTeX, with WinEdt, preceds the appearance of proTeXt; I
already had a paid-for and working WinEdt (since updated many times).

The main reason I tend to use Y&Y TeX instead of MiKTeX is the
sluggishness of the Yap viewer that comes with the latter, as compared
with the ultra-speed of the dviwindo viewer that is part of Y&Y TeX.
This is something quite noticeable even on my 3.2GHz Pentium Extreme
Edition system with 3GB of RAM.

Moreover, any window I open that covers part of the Yap window leaves
a gray rectangle on the latter that I can remove only by refreshing
the Yap window.  And, unless I've missed a setting to fix this, when I
re-TeX a document with MiKTeX, the display in Yap does not update
automatically - until I click in the Yap window.

I haven't timed printing in Y&Y TeX (via dvipsone) vs. that with the
MiKTeX programs, but my impression is that the former is a bit faster
than the latter.

Another reason for using Y&Y is the font-identification capabilities
in the dviwindo viewer: You can bring up a list of all fonts used in
the viewed document and color different fonts differently to verify
which text uses which font.  Is there anything like this with Yap?

Another reason I HAD been preferring Y&Y to MiKTeX was the
integration of the Lucida (and Times) fonts in Y&Y.  Of course that
should reason should be irrelevant very soon, once I reassure myself
that the new macros for the Lucida fonts give me results as good as
those I had with Y&Y.

Another possible reason is the ease with which I can subset fonts in a
PostScript file produced by Y&Y's dvipsone.  Perhaps one can do that
with MiKTeX, but I don't know how yet.