[yandytex] Switch from Y&Y to ...?

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jan 31 09:16:49 CET 2006

murray eisenberg wrote

> Or MiKTeX?
>
> David Marcus wrote:
> > I've been using Y&Y TeX for a long time. I could just keep using it, or
> > I could switch to another TeX. Any suggestions? If I switch, should I
> > switch to TeX Live or proTeXt?
>
> Or MiKTeX?

protext is a bundled copy of miktex (designed for ease of installation
by the tex "virgin").  there's no reason not to use it if you've got
the cd (as a tug member): it saves on net bandwidth ... you'll have to
update it, but not download the whole thing.

so back to david's original question.  can i ask a counter-question:
do you feel your y&y is inadequate?  if so, what is it that you need?

if it's just current packages or other macros, you can "just update".

if it's pdftex you're after, you *have* to change: even if someone,
somewhere, picks up y&y tex, it's going to be a long time before
they've plugged the pdftex extensions into it.

robin