[yandytex] lucida "hl" naming for Y&Y with lucidabr.sty? [Was: Re: Lucida bright from two sources?]

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Feb 5 19:36:28 CET 2006

Hi Murray,

    I'm confused by this (among many other things regarding the new Lucida
    support packages)...

The "new" lucidabr on CTAN is only very slightly different than the old
psnfssx lucidabr, which has existed for many, many years.  It is
(and has always been) quite different than the Y&Y Lucida support which,
I confess, I have essentially zero knowledge of (beyond reading the docs).

    So exactly what changes need to be made with Y&Y to use this new
    lucidabr.sty?  (With LY1 encoding, of course.)

Hmm.  If you install the new tfm's, and use the new lucidabr, don't the
names then match up?  That is, the new tfm's are named things like
hlhr8y.tfm, and that is what the new lucidabr looks for.

But you asked what changes have to made with Y&Y.  I'm sorry, I have no
clue at all.  How does Y&Y know that hlhr8y.tfm should download lbr.pfb?
Does ATM get involved somehow?  Does it just assume the names are the
same?  If so, copying lbr.pfb to hlhr8y.pfb might work?  Just throwing
out ideas ...

    I'd really like to be able to keep around just ONE version of
    lucidabr.sty between multiple TeX systems, including Y&Y and MiKTeX.

When Walter, Morten, and I worked on the new lucidabr release, we knew
that there would be problems with existing Y&Y setups.  Sadly, we
couldn't do anything about this, because (a) none of us have Y&Y
systems, and (b) Y&Y no longer exists, and (c) the new lucidabr does not
really provide any terribly crucial advantages over the lucida support
that came with Y&Y.  So we figured that anyone who wanted to keep using
Y&Y could keep using the Lucida that came with that; there's no great
need to have bought the new fonts at all.

Your situation of wanting to share Lucida between Y&Y and miktex is
something we hadn't considered.  Unfortunately, I don't think we can
provide any detailed instructions, because of the reasons above.  All we
can do is guess.  And also, aren't Y&Y and miktex just fundamentally
very different distributions?  This seems like it might be no end of
trouble ...

Sorry,
Karl