[yandytex] Pictex help

Murray Eisenberg murray at math.umass.edu
Sat Aug 12 02:11:35 CEST 2006

It should be straightforward.  You need pictexwd.sty along with
prepictex.tex, pictexwd.tex, postpictex.tex.

pictexwd.sty is the package you "use" in LaTeX.  It does three things:
It defines \fiverm if it's undefined; it \input's prepictex(.tex),
pictexwd(.tex), and postpictex(.tex); and finally changes a catcode.

pictexwd.sty is a modified version of pictex.sty in which inputting of
picmore.tex and piccorr.sty are commented out.  pictexwd is a patched
version of PicTeX that uses fewer registers.

At least this is the way I began doing it many years ago, and it still
works with Y&Y TeX.  I don't recall all the reasons that one needed to
do it this way.

You should be able to get all these files from a CTAN site.  Just search
on "pictex" and when you download be sure to get the "addon"
subdirectory, too, of the pictex directory.

If you cannot locate what is needed, I'll be glad to help more, or send
you a copy.  Also, if you want a bound, printed copy of the PiCTeX
manual by Michael Wichura (along with the manual for the Table macro),
you can buy it from www.pctex.com.

It's possible to include pictex commands within a conventional LaTeX
picture environment, and vice versa, but I haven't done that in a long
time.  (There may be some additional files required for that.)

Here's a sample LaTeX file that uses pictex:

% lighthouse.tex -- example using pictex
%
\documentclass{article}

\usepackage{pictexwd}

\begin{document}

A boat dock is located on a straight coastline.  A lighthouse is 2 km
offshore from the dock (see the figure).  The light beam from the
lighthouse rotates at 6 radians per minute.  How fast is the beam's spot
of light moving along the coastline when that spot is 3 km down the
coastline from the dock?

\medskip

\hspace*{0.8in}\mbox{%
{\small%
\beginpicture
     \setcoordinatesystem units <0.5in,0.5in>
     \setlinear
     \plot -1 0 4.25 0 / % coastline
     \thicklines
     \arrow <10pt> [.2,.67] from 0 2 to 2.9 0.1
     \thinlines
     \setdashes
     \plot 0 0 0 2 /
     \betweenarrows {2 km} [r] <-0.1in, 0in> from 0 0 to 0 2
     \put {lighthouse} at 0.25 2.35
     \put {light beam} [l] at 1.7 1.2
     \put {dock} [t] at 0 -0.2
     \put {coastline} [lt] at 0.8 -0.2
     \put {spot of light} [lt] at 2.75 -0.2
     \put {{\large\textbullet}} at 3 0
     \put {\rule{8pt}{8pt}} at 0 0
     \put {$\bigcirc$} at 0 2
     %\put {$\bullet$} at 0 2
     \setsolid
     \circulararc 54 degrees from 0 1.3 center at 0 2
\endpicture
}% end small
}