Status of Lucida and Y&Y TeX

Karl Berry karl at FREEFRIENDS.ORG
Thu Jul 28 02:14:49 CEST 2005

Hi Mike and all,

Since you asked, I guess it is time for a status report ...

    Can those working behind the scenes report any progress on making the
    Lucida font set available again?

I guess I can report some progress -- Chuck Bigelow and I have drafted
an agreement on allowing TUG to resell the Lucida fonts which were
previously sold by Y&Y.  Lawyers on both sides have seen it at this
point, there appear to be no remaining insuperable barriers, but it is
still not quite final, there are a few more steps to take.

It will also take some time to put together exactly what we will
distribute, the license terms we have to pass on to end-users, etc.
So I can't really give a date when they will be available again.  But
it appears that it will happen ...

    Also, it would be of interest to know whether any progress has been
    made on saving Y&Y TeX itself (or at least some components of it) as
    an open-source project.

Happily, progress has been made (thanks to Blenda), but I'd like to beg
your patience for another little while while we take care of some final
details before making a public announcement on this front.  Hopefully it
won't be too long ...

Best regards,
Karl