current state of Y&Y web site

Mimi Burbank mimi at CSIT.FSU.EDU
Mon Feb 7 15:56:42 CET 2005

On Feb07 02:15PM, Moreland Hogan wrote:
> It's been taken over by an underware company in Arizona--the ultimate
> degradation!

tee hee  ;-)       the "domain name" was sold  ....    and
I believe it is now pronounced  "yandie"   ;-)

> Seriously, there are people out there like me, a TeX user since
> 198-something who migrated (under pressure from a long job that couldn't
> accept TeX's habit of moving figures around without warning) to
> FrameMaker.Bjut I still kept my Y&Y TeX up to date until moving to
> Windows XP. Would like to return to the brave days (TeX) of yesteryear,
> specifically with the last revision of Y&Y. Any possibility of getting
> online again: there must be legions (or at least a crowd) of Y&Y people.

actually there is a cure for that  "moving"  ;-)   you set specific
penalties and then make sure you don't have too many floats on a
stack  and things tend to work out just fine ...   If you are doing
endlessly long documents, then it behooves you to do a
\clearpage    at some poing here and there to clear the stack
of floats...   (can be done between chapters for example) ...

and if you are including a bzillion graphics in a row - then
periodically do a \clearpage  just to clea the stick, because
tex (not *latex*) will put them *all* on a stick and then barf
all over you  ;-)

%% always important to have in your file
\widowpenalty=10000
\clubpenalty=10000

%% these next penalties force text on a page with figures and
%% otherwise *help* prevent fig 5 coming before fig 2  ;-) and other
%% such misadventures...   dimensions can be 0.95 etc...   you
%% can play with the numbers to achieve the "tightness" you want

\renewcommand{\topfraction}{0.9}
\renewcommand{\bottomfraction}{0.5}
\renewcommand{\floatpagefraction}{0.8}
\renewcommand{\textfraction}{0.1}
\setcounter{bottomnumber}{2}
\setcounter{totalnumber}{4}
\renewcommand{\dbltopfraction}{0.9}
\renewcommand{\dblfloatpagefraction}{0.8}

%%   the next ones allow a little more "looseness" on your page
\pretolerance=500
\tolerance=1000
\hyphenpenalty=400

mimi