Line numbers in the final pdf file

Ashim at Ashim at
Fri Dec 16 08:06:10 CET 2005

It was the version!  I had a 2004 version as distributed with
WinEdt/MikTeX.  When I downloaded the new version from CTAN, things
worked.  I put the % signs back in and it now works just fine.

Thanks to everyone for the great help.

Ashim

At 04:39 PM 12/15/2005, you wrote:
> > on 12/15/2005 1:07 PM Ashim Datta said the following:
> > > I processed the file many times, without any luck.  I found that the
> > > areas causing problem are
> > >
> > > text text text text
> > > %
> > > \begin{equation}
> > > \end{equation}
> > > %
> > > text text text text
> > >
> > > The % signs are put so that the paragraph stays together and the line
> > > following the equation is not indented.  This was suggested by a Guru.
> > >
> > > When I put a blank line (instead of %), things work.  I still do not
> > > get line numbers for figure captions.
> >
> > The Guru has the wrong idea with the "%" signs in this case.
>
>please only claim such things when you know what you're talking about.
>
> > Just use
> > \noindent at the start of the following line.
>
>sure, if you want another paragraph.  since lineno can be programmed
>to behave differently at paragraph ends, this isn't necessarily the
>right thing to do.
>
>fwiw, i can't reproduce the op's problem.  i agree with the suggestion
>that (s)he should download a new copy from ctan.
>
>robin

Ashim K. Datta
Professor, Cornell University
Dept. of Biological and Environmental Engineering
Riley-Robb Hall, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Tel: (607)255-2482; Fax: (607)255-4080
http://www.bee.cornell.edu/datta