MathTimePro (was: Status of Lucida and Y&Y TeX)

Paulo Ney de Souza desouza at MATH.BERKELEY.EDU
Mon Aug 1 21:21:52 CEST 2005

    >From w.a.schmidt at gmx.net  Mon Aug  1 02:32:19 2005
    >From: Walter Schmidt <w.a.schmidt at gmx.net>
    >To: "Support for users of Y&Y's TeX system" <YANDYTEX at LISTS.UCC.IE>
    >CC: desouza at MATH.BERKELEY.EDU
    >Subject: MathTimePro (was: Status of Lucida and Y&Y TeX)
    >
    >Paulo Ney de Souza schrieb:
    >
    >> [re. MathTimePro]
    >> after trying to
    >> produce our first book with it, I satared seeing the flaws of
    >> the font-set and they are fairly close to being a defective
    >> font-set... and not anything that you can use professionaly.
    >
    >Could you, please, provide some kind of proof for this hard
    >judgement?  What exactly did not meet your expectations?
    >
    >Walter

The font set fails to meet expectations in many areas, I'll show
you some of the simple things you can do to show the defects:

Compare, for example, the distances among the characters (mainly
the "f") in an arragement like  $h^ef$  and if you are not convinced
then see the distances in many other fonts sets including Computer
Modern.

When you try something like $$K[\alpha])];$$ you can see the parens
and the braces and the rest all jumbled up and almost touching each
other. See the much nicer spacing you get with CM.

One of the most visible ones is the parens outside math-mode being
smaller than the normal-size in math-mode. If you have a formula at
the end of the expresion, like :

   ..... text here $(x=4)$.)

the outside parens are SMALLER than the inside ones! You can see it
on these two bitmaps made directly with the fonts:

	http://math.berkeley.edu/~desouza/parens-cm.bmp
	http://math.berkeley.edu/~desouza/parens-mtpro.bmp

Some of these problems were inherited from MathTime, like the spacing
on  $h^ef$ and one can even argue around that a bit, but most other
problems like the parens almost touching the brackets, the diminute
kerning of ; and the size of the parens problem has been introduced
at the MathTimePro version and are not present in MathTime.

Paulo Ney