DVI previewer gone haywire

Herbert Gintis hgintis at COMCAST.NET
Mon Nov 8 11:50:13 CET 2004

In this situation, I would just reinstall the TeX system. It's not that
hard or time consuming.
Short of that, you can check your dviwindo.ini, which is located in the
main windows directory (e.g., \windows).

Herb Gintis

At 11:04 AM 11/8/2004, LMS journals wrote:
>Helpppp!!!
>
>I've just done a backup of my whole hard drive, prior to installing some new
>software.  I first did a disk cleanup and defrag.
>
>HOWEVER, before going ahead with the new install, I tried to use DVI windo,
>and each time I do, it goes into some sort of endless loop, with the
>hourglass showing, and the only way I can stop it is to switch the whole
>computer off at the wall (Ctrl/Alt/Del has no effect, and nor does the
>on/off button on the hard drive.)
>
>I assume that something has got screwed up in the defrag, and that I'll need
>to re-install -- but I'd like to do as little as poss, so as to keep
>settings, etc.  Using DVIWindo, I can Latex an existing file, I can run
>Bibtex, but the previewer causes the disaster.  Trying to open a dvi file
>from the main DVIWindo menu, or from Explorer, has the same effect.
>
>Helpful thoughts, please???
>
>That'll teach me to try and be conscientious....
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Sue

Herbert Gintis
External Faculty, Santa Fe
Institute
Emeritus Professor, University of Massachusetts
15 Forbes Avenue, Northampton, MA 01060
413-586-7756  (Home Office) 206-984-9873 (Fax)
Recent papers are posted on my <http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~gintis>web site.
Get Game Theory Evolving (Princeton, 2000) at
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0691009430/qid=1057311870/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-8882889-4632849?v=glance&s=books>Amazon.com
Look for Moral Sentiments and Material Interests (MIT Press, 2005)
Look for Unequal Chances: Family Background and
   Economic Success (Princeton UP, 2004)
Get Foundations of Human Sociality: Economic Experiments
   and   Ethnographic Evidence from Fifteen Small-scale
   Societies (Oxford UP, 2004).
Quote of the week:
      Raffiniert is der Herrgott, aber boshaft is Er nicht.
      (God is crafty, but He is not malicious)
                                         Albert Einstein