Ligatures in Lucida Bright?

Mimi Burbank mimi at CSIT.FSU.EDU
Tue May 18 10:27:23 CEST 2004

On May18 03:52AM, Troels Johansen wrote:
> Out of curiosity (since I am contemplating getting the Lucida fonts): Are
> there ligatures like fl, ff, fi with the Lucida fonts? Reading some of the
> old posts in the archives, I noticed a few users trying to disable the
> ligatures and others having problems with ligatures & pdftex, leading me to
> believe that there *are* ligatures ;-)

there are ligatures  ;-)

> But looking at magazines like Scientific American and Notices of the
> American Mathematical Society (both using the Lucida fonts), I failed to see
> any :-( Can anyone enlighten me?

can you go back to the page - I'm assuming it is a PDF file,
and see what type of fonts are embedded in the PDF file?

if true-type, then they don't have ligatures.

 ... copying some info from one of te text files that
     comes with Y&Y TeX....

"...
Unfortunately, the three types of font metric files do NOT contain
exactly the same kind of information.  For example, neither PFM nor
TFM files contain the full encoding vector (see below), and PFM files
do not contain ligature information.  Also, neither PFM nor TFM files
have ANY information on unencoded characters (see below).  It is
therefore best to view the human-readable AFM file as the base form
from which the binary metric files can be derived.  Utilities are
supplied with DVIWindo and DVIPSONE (and in the `Font Manipulation
Package') for doing this.
 .../

you can probably find more information on this on the Y&Y web
site under the  FAQ :  http://www.yandy.com/faq-fonts.htm

mimi