LaTex2HTML

Mimi Burbank mimi at CSIT.FSU.EDU
Tue Mar 16 17:05:46 CET 2004

On Mar16 02:42PM, Eric Lam wrote:
> Hi. I'm a new user to LaTex.
> I've been using YandY to create PS and PDF files and it works fine.
> Recently I downloaded LaTex2HTML and tried to create some HTMLs, but the
> graphics/equations won't show. LaTex2HTML won't recognise DVIPSONE used in
> YandY as a DVIPS driver. I tried to download some other DVIPS drivers but
> they won't point to the correct path.
> Is there any way around this?
> Thanks.

Hi Eric,

I'm going to try to give a lame *very elementary* explanation

first of all   DVIPS is a   DVI -->  POSTSCRIPT driver...
 It is a binary file, built on a particular operating system,
 and configured in such a way as to work with a certain TeX
 configuration

latex2html is a  LATEX --> HTML   translater   -- it is a
a Perl script package that supports LaTeX only, and generates
bitmapped images of math characters and figures.

Nothing in latex2html works on DVI files...  it actually
doesn't work on PostScript files either....

If you read the documentation on latex2html you will note that
basically Perl scripts do the work, translating latex code into html
code...  DVIPS is used (primarily because it is free and has been
around for years for about all platforms) to generate PostScript
images, of math, complex tables, and figures etc., --- those things
which are not ascii....  an these images are then converted, using yet
another utility into PNG or GIF graphics .... (i think it may be
ImageMagick on windows)... and the resulting image is plopped down
into the html file at a specific location.

...so what you are talking about is having several different utilities
work together in order to produce the "images" contained in the
output.

You'd do better to go to the
 http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?keyword=latex2html
to learn some more about the program.

While latex2html *can* generate HTML files - PDF files are more useful
nowadays, simply because they are all in one document, and don't take
very long to create.  They can be scaled down in size so that they
aren't so large...  plus the math looks better in PDF files than it
ever could in any html document!

you *can* get DVIPS to work on Windows as well, I believe, but you
wouldn't want it to work with Y&YTeX - because DVIPSONE is so much
better! ....

I've grown lazy in my approach to web sites - I like PDF files!  and
when I want to look at documentation, I don't want to have to click 50
times to see things - If I want to run a word search on something, I
don't want to have to do it on 15 links - or even 2 links.

Tis much easier to do it on a PDF file just once  ;-)

of course this is just my opinion...

mimi