Producing PDFs to non-standard page sizes (fwd)

Christina Thiele cthiele at CCS.CARLETON.CA
Thu Jun 10 12:13:00 CEST 2004

Sorry ... I replied to Sue's post and it went back only to her. Sorry,
Sue -- you'll be getting duplicates of this one ;-)

Ch.

======

Subject: Re: [YANDYTEX] Producing PDFs to non-standard page sizes
To: jcm at lms.ac.uk
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 12:10:48 -0400 (EDT)

LMS journals writes:

> But I reckon the basic steps are to
> 1. make sure your latex is generating the size you want
> 2. use printer options to select paper size
> 3. use the command line to put it where you want on the page.
> 4. set up a page of appropriate size in distiller.
>
> All the best
>
> Sue

I'd like to add one more point -- and you may already be aware of it.

I've been caught by a `feature' in Acrobat Reader's printer dialogue
box.

In v.5.0 (on unix), you'll find a section called `PostScript
Options'. In here, you want to turn OFF the `feature' of `Shrink
oversized pages to paper size' --  and I'd probably also check that
`Expand small pages to paper size' should also be DEactivated.

On my NT laptop, I seem to have v.4.0, and there, the most I can find
in the printer dialogue box is an entry (top right area) that reads
`Fit to page'.

And in v.6, it's probably been stuck somewhere else again ;-) In any
event, I found I had to tell a UK client to deactivate this feature to
ensure that his CJL article came out at the correct size (that is, on
North American 8.5 x 11 in paper), and not resized for printing on A4
paper.

You may want to give this end of the process a check as well, once you
get your file to produce the right dimens.

Oh, and of course, print a hardcopy sample page from the .dvi, .ps,
and .pdf files, to ensure that what you're starting with is what you
end up with ;-)