FW: BibTex

J. Gregory McDaniel jgm at BU.EDU
Thu Jul 8 15:47:14 CEST 2004

Thanks for all of the attempts to help.  I have triple-checked the
dviwindo.ini file included in my original posting and can't isolate any
possibility of tex being invoked when the menu item for bibtex is executed.
In answer to several questions: I have followed all of the instructions in
bibtex-install.txt, using exactly that directory structure nd using the
files in bibtex-all.zip.  I'm still having the problem ...

Thanks,
Greg

-----Original Message-----
From: Support for users of Y&Y's TeX system [mailto:YANDYTEX at LISTS.UCC.IE]
On Behalf Of Mimi Burbank
Sent: Thursday, July 08, 2004 3:15 PM
To: YANDYTEX at LISTS.UCC.IE
Subject: Re: FW: BibTex

I'm including a file that we made up some time ago for bibtex -

it has a good bit of information - you might want to check and see just
"where" in your yandy folder bibtex actually is located.

you need to check the size of your bibtex.exe file as well..

If necessary, there are files that you can download and install.

mimi

=======
BibTeX:
=======

NEW: A new version of BibTeX is now included in the Y&Y TeX System typically
in c:\yandy\bibtex.  This version

(1) reads "environment variables" from dviwindo.ini;
(2) deals with arbitrary line terminations;
(3) can handle long file names;
(4) has much larger limits on various arrays.

Installation of the TeX System already adds appropriate variables to the
[Environment] section of dviwindo.ini including BIBINPUTS, BSTINPUTS, and
CSFINPUTS. For example:

BIBINPUT=c:/yandy/texinput/bibinput;c:/yandy/bibtex/bib
BSTINPUT=c:/yandy/texinput/bstinput;c:/yandy/bibtex/bst
CSFINPUT=c:/yandy/texinput/csfinput;c:/yandy/bibtex/csf
BIBTEX_CSFILE=88591lat.csf

You can link BibTeX into your TeX menu like any other program as explained
in the Y&Y TeX System manual.  Hold down the Ctrl key, from the "TeX Menu"
select the item *before* the one where you want BibTeX to appear, then edit
the "key" and "value" fields and click "Add".

You can also call BinTeX from the WInEdt editor. But then note that
sometimes WinEdt is set up to use the old "c:\yandy\util\bibtex.exe" instead
of the new "c:\yandy\bibtex\bibtex.exe".  In that case, just reconfigure the
definitions for WinEdt's menu item for BibTeX.

OLD: An older, simpler version of BibTeX is in the `util' sub-folder of the
`yandy' folder, typically c:\yandy\util\bibtex.exe

If you use this version, then you may find it easiest to assemble all needed
files in one directory.  Then run BibTeX from the command prompt after
making that directory the current directory.  That way you know all the
files are there and that BibTeX is not grabbing old versions of any of the
files by mistake.  You can get to the command prompt from "Start > Programs
> Command Prompt".

For serious work, you may prefer to use a more elaborate version.  On the CD
look in /CTAN/systems/win32/bibtex.exe for a larger version.
Copy this to your util folder.  Also copy kpathsea.dll in that case (see
kpathsea.pdf for documentation if needed).

You can control where this BibTeX looks for *.BIB and *.BST files using two
environment variables  BIBINPUTS, BSTINPUTS.  Note that these are real DOS
environment variables, not entries in the [Environment] section of
dviwindo.ini.

In Windows 95/98 add to your autoexec.bat file (in your root directory)
lines of the form:

        SET BIBINPUTS=c:\yandy\texinput\bibinput
        SET BSTINPUTS=c:\yandy\texinput\bstinput

Please substitute the correct full path to where your files actually are.
then reboot.

In Windows NT, set environment variables from "Start > Settings > Control
Panel > System" Click the "Advanced" tab, click on "Environment Variables".
Click on "Add" under "Variables" (not "System Variables").  You don't need
to reboot in this case.

Note that this BibTeX - unlike Y&Y TeX itself - does not like long file
names --- which is why the actual directories names given as exaples above
are not longer than 8 characters.  The environment variables themselves,
however, ve no such restriction and should be written as shown with the full
9 letters.

Note that this BibTeX - unlike Y&Y TeX - assumes that your files use
standard line terminations.  This can lead to complaints about `exceeding
BibTeX's input buffer' if you transfer files from Mac or Unix without
translating the line terminations.

You can also get this error message if you have unusually long biblio
entries.  BibTeX was not designed to accept whole abstracts as entries.