FWD: Re: FWD: messages for Berthold

Blenda Horn blendacarlisle at yandy.com
Sat Jan 31 10:52:50 CET 2004

My apology...I sent the first email to techsupport out by accident.

This message is from Berthold Horn, in response to email posted in techsupport.

Blenda.

From: "Berthold K.P. Horn" Date:  Fri, 30 Jan 2004 12:44:49 -0500

>Techsupport messages with examples of XP issues.
>
>Does the warning against ATM 4.0 with Windows XP also apply to ATM
>Deluxe 4.1 with Windows XP?

No. Specifically, the prohibition is against installing ATM 4.0 for NT in XP.
ATM 4.1 Lite and/or deluxe, while not required, works fine.

---------------------

>I think the incompatibility is with Windows itself.  The font that
>causes the problem in my installation is Lucida Sans Typewriter, bold
>italic.  In my opinion, the name change should go on the list of items
>to be fixed by Y&Y as soon as possible.  It should be easy and cheap
>to fix.

This has been considered. However, it would break every EPS file that
was ever generated that refers to the font by the original name --- there
may of course, be very few such EPS files.  But, the names of all four fonts
in the family would need to be changed to ensure consistency of style
selection.  And there are numerous EPS files that refer to the regular style
of this font set.  Aside from EPS files, other applications refer to fonts by
PS FontName (particularly graphics programs).  All file created by these
would be affected.  Finally, Bigelow & Holmes would need to agree to
the change.  It is always dangerous to make some change in response
to bugs in other peoples software. It is true that it is often the only way
since large players like MicroSoft, Apple and Adobe typically don't respond
to problems of small fry.

>===
>
>Well, I have had a similar issue with some of the Mathematica fonts:
>Windows has no trouble distinguishing among them, but ATM Deluxe 4.1
>(with the ATMFIX.EXE applied) does: the names (the ones internal to
>the files, I think it is) just seem to be too long for ATM to
>distinguish them.

Do not use the Mathetica fonts. Aside from design issues, they are very
poorly made and have several bugs, particularly relating to such things
as the various names that a font has in an operating system.  Early versions
of these fonts were OK, but the final release lacked all quality control
and passed the fonts through a commercial "font monging" program.
To see more on this issue, heck out http://www.yandy.com/mathematica
If for some reason you insist on trying to use Mathematica fonts, download
http://www.yandy.com/mathematica/mathematica_pfm.zip and perhaps
http://www.yandy.com/mathematica/mathematica_pfb.zip
That is all the information there is. For additional questions about these
fonts refer to the source.

>=
>
>Maybe I should better have said that the installation instructions
>that came with Y&Y's package strictly state that one ought not to
>install ATM on Windows 2000 as it has the Type 1 rasterizer already
>built in.

No. They actually say that one ought not to install ATM 4.0 for NT.
This is very specific.