Open Type Fonts

Frank Ganz fganz at springer-ny.com
Wed Jan 7 15:11:51 CET 2004

First off, I'm giving my response without judgment of any kind. I just want to help illuminate the issue. I understand that your situation may not be the same.

I had an author of ours ask this question some time ago and it turned out that the assessment of what font format a particular font was in was solely based on the logo _O_ for what one might assume stands for _OpenType_. On Windows 2000 Pro, which is what I am working with, True Type fonts carry that symbol. While Y&Y does not support TrueType fonts if you use those in artwork alone (EPS files) it doesn't matter. Keep in mind, though, that professional output studios (if this is going to a printer) often don't support TrueType fonts. Your printer driver can be set up to substitute TrueType with Type 1 fonts. Other issues may arise with this option. Most of the time it works fine. If you can avoid True Type fonts altogether, that would be preferrable.

Frank