Open Type Fonts

Mike Prager Mike.Prager at noaa.gov
Wed Jan 7 14:38:40 CET 2004

At 02:04 PM 1/7/2004, Mimi Burbank wrote:
>On Jan07 01:45PM, Penny wrote:
> > Afternoon,
> >
> > Do the "newer" Adobe Open Type fonts, work with YandY TeX, and DVI
> > window?
>

>while I have no experience with the TrueType fonts, there are
>a couple of FAQs on the YandY web site
>

>http://www.yandy.com/faq-fonts.htm#1
>http://www.yandy.com/faq-fonts.htm#8
>
>that might provide more info...     other than  "just try a
>font and see what happens"  ;-)
>
>mimi

More information. OpenType is a relatively new format, with features of
both Type 1 and TrueType fonts. Also, fonts may incorporate additional
features (e.g., several optical sizes in one font file, additional glyphs)
if put there by the designer.  More information at

http://www.adobe.com/type/opentype/main.html

Though I don't know for sure, I suspect that existing Type 1-based
applications will need revision to support OpenType fonts.

...Mike

--
Michael Prager
NOAA Center for Coastal Fisheries and Habitat Research

NOTE: Opinions expressed are personal, not official. No government
endorsement of any product is made or implied.