DVIPSONE on the fritz

Mike Prager Mike.Prager at NOAA.GOV
Fri Aug 13 12:01:38 CEST 2004

At 10:55 AM 08/13/2004, Michael Cross wrote:
>It is some time since I set things up, so I don't fully remember if I had
>difficulties. However now I can successfully use dvipsone with fonts that
>Windows knows nothing about (so, for example, I cannot use dviwindo to view
>the dvi file), and I do not have, and never have had, any font manager like
>ATM installed. The directory where I have the postscript fonts has nothing
>but the .pfb files and a subdirectory with the .pfm files, although I seem
>to remember the latter is not needed. As far as I can see, I do not have a
>ATMREG.ATM file anywhere. None of which, unfortunately, is probably of much
>help to you, except to suggest that it is possible to use dvipsone
>independent of Windows font management issues.
>
>Is it possible, since dvipsone accesses fonts in a different way, that the
>access rights to the fonts directory is too restrictive? Have you tried
>running it with administrative rights or copying the fonts to some other
>directory and pointing dvipsone there?
>
>Michael Cross

Thanks to M. Cross for this information.  I tried his first suggestion
(admin rights), but never did try the second (copying fonts).  I just gave
up, removed Font Navigator, and installed ATM Deluxe 4.1.  Everything now
works fine.

This situation is a puzzle, and I hope that someday we will understand it
better.  Perhaps a way will be found for Y&Y to do some updates on their
excellent product.

MHP

--
Michael Prager, Ph.D.                <Mike.Prager at noaa.gov>
NOAA Center for Coastal Fisheries and Habitat Research

NOTE: Opinions expressed are personal, not official.  No government
endorsement of
any product is expressed or implied.