Three Crazy Fonts

Christina Thiele cthiele at CCS.CARLETON.CA
Fri Apr 16 14:38:19 CEST 2004

Angela Partain writes:

> Hi all,
> Hopefully this little list (below) will help some poor font-challenged soul
> in the future:
>
> "The Idiot's Guide to Downloading Fonts from CTAN:"
>
> 1.  Go to www.ctan.org
>
> 2.  Click on the "Ctan Mirror" link
>
> 3.  Choose an ftp site and copy and paste the link into your browser's
> address line (You will have to delete and backspace the city and state that
> is in parentheses)  (ex., from  ftp.cise.ufl.edu (Florida, USA)
> /pub/mirrors/tex-archive to
> ftp.cise.ufl.edu/pub/mirrors/tex-archive)
>
> 4. Find the font(s) you need from the ftp site and save the pfm and pfb
> files to a temp file (I made a folder called c:\windows\fonts-mine).
>
> 5.  Go to Control Panel, Fonts, Install New Font, and browse to your temp
> folder.  The fonts you downloaded there should come up on the "fonts found"
> list.  Select them all and click ok.

One more fairly giant step ... you've gotta then make the font useable
in TeX: those .tfm files, right?

Either fetch from someplace, or generate via DVIWindo.

And PLEASE!!! Read pp.3--5 of the Technical Addendum to remind
yourself/selves about what the .pfb, .pfm, and .tfm files do.

As well, there's the whole encoding business. The Y&YTeX preference
seems to be texnansi, so do choose that one if you don't have special
needs/knowledge saying otherwise.

_Why_ the encoding business is so important ... I have to leave that
to others to explain (and I think others have already posted some
explanations over the past year or so). But you do need to have .tfms
in order to get your new fonts to work with TeX.

In your case, Angela, I think you already had 'em -- and didn't have
the .pfb and .pfm files.

> 6. Voila!  There may be many other ways of doing this, but these steps
> (compiled through the excellent advice of the esteemed Y&Y Support group)
> worked for me after many previous futile attempts.

Wonderful instrutions, nevertheless, Angela. And now that this list is
archived, it'll be heavily referenced, I'm sure! Thanks so much for
taking the time to write it up ... and for all your patience in trying
trying trying to get things sorted out. It's truly a great way to end
the week, eh?!