Three Crazy Fonts

Jochen Autschbach jautschbach at YAHOO.COM
Thu Apr 15 15:32:18 CEST 2004

--- Troels Roussau Johansen <troelsj at math.lsu.edu> wrote:
> If Y&Y Tex is anything like the Tex systems I am accustomed to
> (MikTeX, fpTeX,
> teTeX on Unix bla bla bla), there is a file database (like the
> Windows
> registry) that should be updated after installing new stuff
> (installing is not
> the same as copying the file to the proper location).

As far as I can tell with YandY there is no such database. I added
quite a few packages so far and it was never necessary to update a file
name database as it is necessary with miktex. This is probably also the
reason why YandY loads packages significantly slower than miktex, at
least on my WinXP system.

> > folder.  Lo and behold, I got this error message:
> >
> > Unable to install the font.  File "...msbm10.tfm is either invalid
> or
> > damaged.

I believe I've seen this kind of error message before.
The question is: did you try copying, or "installing" font files.
Do you have both the .pfm and the .pfb files for each font in
your windows/fonts directory? If not, then Windows will refuse to
uninstall or reinstall the font and complain about damaged files. In
this case you need to manually copy the missing files to the windows
fonts directory.

I recently installed the computer modern Type1 fonts from CTAN
and have no trouble using them with YandY. All I needed to do was to
download the Type1 font files in form of a ZIP archive, unpack, go to
ControlPanel -> Fonts, and "install" from there. It was necessary,
however, to put all .pfm and .pfb files in the same directory before
installing the fonts.
I bought YandY TeX with MathTime Complete, so originally I couldn't
view any DVI file that required one of the CM fonts with DVIWindo.

J.