bad metric

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Sep 25 19:35:52 CEST 2003

christina thiele writes:

> Edgar G. Goodaire writes:
>
> > I have recently switched to MiKTeX from EmTeX.  I have your lucida fonts,
> > but now get an error message concerning hlcrima.tfm - bad metric - and no
> > output.  Everything worked with EmTeX.  Can you figure out what is going
> > wrong?  My .aux file is below. [snipped]
>
> I believe that TFM files are specifically written for a given
> encoding. So that if you were using one encoding under MikTeX and
> another under EmTeX, you'd have to re-write -- or redirect via paths
> -- to the correct tfms. Is this a possibility?

no; good tfm files are always readable.  if they are designed for the
wrong encoding for the job in hand, they may not be terribly useful,
but that's not what's happening here.

> What I definitely don't know is whether tfm files written for use with
> one TeX implementation are directly usable in another.

supposedly, yes.  i've never encountered an instance where they
weren't: the design is pretty careful to avoid any problem.

edgar:
- is this the only problem you're having, or are other lucida fonts
  problematic?
- how did you change over?  tetex (what's on my machine at the moment)
  provides tfm files out of the box -- so in principle you may not
  have needed to copy the tfm files into the new system.

robin