more on fonts ...

Christina Thiele cthiele at ccs.carleton.ca
Mon Sep 8 15:11:26 CEST 2003

Remember this message from a few weeks ago?

Christina Thiele writes:

> I have a problem ;-)
>
> I'm trying to get some files to run under my upgraded Y&YTeX v. 2.2.8,
> but am running into an error message. From my log file, it seems that
> my file's looking for these two .fd files:
>
>    OT1ptm.fd      OT1phv.fd
>
> And yet, the files are supposed to be looking for the corresponding
> and necessary LY1ptm.fd and LY1phv.fd files.

Well, I've now investigated a little further ... I finally thought to
look for the two .fd files and -- they aren't on the machine! They
aren't on the CD either. So, no wonder I was getting complaints!!!

I've now fetched the files, and put them into a \myinputs folder, just
to remind me that they're add-ons.

So I guess the moral of the story is: when an error message complaints
about something IN a file ... go look if the file even is there! Then
worry about its contents ;-)

As for why it wanted OT1 and not LY1, well, uh ... geez ... that
turned out to be `User Error' with respect to knowing which font
options I'd activated ...

I went through much more slowly and methodically (= ploddingly ;-) )
and found I'd added some lines that were running interference. Once
removed, and once the correct .fd files had been installed in a known
folder, TeX had no problem processing the file.

Thanks for the suggestions posted at the time. Now I know ;-)