version numbers?

Christina Thiele cthiele at ccs.carleton.ca
Tue Sep 2 21:02:04 CEST 2003

David Parkhurst writes:

> What's in the upgrade, that might make it worth $80?   (I have 2.2.3.)
> Thanks
> Dave Parkhurst

There is no `upgrade' really, within the 2.2.* versions -- that third
digit represents incremental modifications that are
structural. Upgrades are from version 2.* to 2.*+1, if you will -- as
Mimi's message outlined: 2.0 --> 2.2 or 2.1 --> 2.2.

On the other hand, we do know that there was a major change in the
bibtex portion of Y&YTeX, and that included a
revised/fixed/what-have-you version of the bibtex.exe file itself. I
don't know when that change was effected, but if you look at your
c:\yandy tree and find a \bibtex subfolder, then you have the bibtex
upgrade already in place. If you find bibtex.exe still in the
c:\yandy\utils folder, then we have instructions for getting it all
sorted out. In fact ... I see I have a message from Mimi with some
(?final ;-) ) corrections to the instructions ;-)

As well, we are seeing some problems with the latest 2.2.8 version
which is now being distributed, and again, we've got instructions on
dealing with the fixes. I haven't yet had any feedback from the others
(the others in the volunteer support group, that is) on whether I
covered all the bases. If anyone has 2.2.8 with no folders for
amslatex, babel, cyrillic, psnfss in c:\yandy\tex\latex\required, and
would like to be a tester of the fixes, I'd be much obliged -- I
shouldn't need more than 2 people ... right? ;-))

So, `upgrade' usually refers to a change in version numbers at the
`hundred's' position ;-) And those are substantial changes. With a
known cost applied to them. What to do about incrementals ... I don't
believe Y&Y have ever set a price on those -- but I would expect to
see some sort of cost, if only for media, shipping, and a bit for
handling/processing. But that's just speculation on my part -- I
really ought to let Blenda speak for Y&Y pricing policies ;-))

I'm hoping we'll see the two instruction sets up on the website fairly
shortly; the one for the bibtex re-org has already been tested by some
members of this list, and it's been ok. The 2.2.8 fixes then is the
one that needs a bit more vetting.

Ch.