Good books to have (was Re: cmr and mt ... )

Christina Thiele cthiele at ccs.carleton.ca
Tue Sep 2 12:57:40 CEST 2003

Mimi Burbank writes:

> On Sep02 11:29AM, Barbara Beeton wrote:
>
> another comment on K&D:
>
> > just one comment on christina's mention of kopka & daly:
> >
> >     ... The best reference I've found on understanding error and
> >    warning messages is Kopka and Daly's _A Guide to LaTeX2e_ (2nd
> <snip>
> > regardless of edition, kopka & daly, for my money, is the
> > best general latex manual for either beginners or experienced
> > latex users.
> > 							-- bb
>

>    I'll third that  - and say Amen at the same time  ;-)
>

> mimi

Well! Now you all know what to put on your Christmas wish list! ;-))

I do find myself using both the K/D and the older LaTeX Companion a
lot -- often with both open to the same topic. If one's wording
doesn't make sense to me, then the other usually will.

Now, I understand the Companion is also undergoing work for a new
edition, so it'll be interesting to see how that shapes up.

I have a copy of the LaTeX Graphics Companion, as well as Hoenig's
_TeX Unbound_ but haven't used either enough to know how they stack
up.

Anyone have any comments ... since we seem to be doing book reviews
today ;-))

Ch.

P.S. Not to say that the old TeXBook doesn't get consulted at least
     once or twice a week as well!