Installing Latex in XP

Christina Thiele cthiele at ccs.carleton.ca
Thu Oct 23 10:47:21 CEST 2003

dswanson writes:

> Dear All:
>
> I am not able to install the full set of Latex packages.
> The installer unsuccessfully looks for boites.sty and
> then stops, leaving most the packages uninstalled.  Has
> anyone discovered a workaround for this?  Thanks,
>
> Dave Swanson

As promised ... here's my list of fixes that ought to set you back on
the true path ... that would not be the TrueType one ;-) <can't resist
that groaner!> And do keep in mind these are my personal notes, not
anything that's really really a Y&YTeX document, ok? So if there are
oversights or mistakes, please knock on _my_ door ;-) ... but you can
do it via techsupport, so we're all in the loop.

Also, this is the list of bug-fixes I'd mentioned a while back, asking
if anyone wanted to test it ... so I guess you're now a tester, Dave
;-)

Now, keep in mind that, unless you actually use these packages, you
don't have anything to worry about. It's just a bugger when you
regularly use graphics, or babel, or whatever and are thwarted. These
are all add-on packages to LaTeX, which itself is properly installed
by the time you get to the third installation phase, which is all
about CTAN stuff, which is where the complaint about boites.sty being
missing arises.

If you didn't choose the final CTAN install segment, then these
problems don't affect you -- your LaTeX is functioning perfectly.

So, here's what I found and then did when I ran into the same
problems. Please note that this hit parade of `misses' has been passed
on so that it won't be around for much longer.

Ch.

=====

==== installation bugs with 2.2.8

         Bugs in current Y&YTeX install CD (CT experiences):
         =================================

1. During the final installation segment (to add additional packages
   from CTAN), an error message box pops up, complaining that the
   boites package cannot be found. This is because the package is
   not on the CD but the installation script for writing the
   Y&YTeX CDs hasn't been updated and thus still wants to copy the
   file off the CD. A benign message -- just hit <return> and
   installation will finish.

[I've since come around to thinking that this is not quite that benign
 and may in fact be the reason that a bunch of folders don't get
 installed in c:\yandy\tex\latex\required, which _should_ look like
 this:

       Directory of c:\yandy\tex\latex\required
                                               \AMSLaTeX
                                               \Babel
                                               \Cyrillic
                                               \Graphics
                                               \psnfss
                                               \Tools

 I believe all you see is \tools, and \graphics -- but this latter is
 not fully populated, for which see below.]

   To address the missing folders situation, with `administrative'
   privileges, create the missing folder names, and then go to the
   CTAN folder on the CD and copy all the stuff that's there into the
   appropriate (new) folder on your machine.

2. DVIWindo's TeX menu is missing a `LaTeX' entry. To remedy, two
   edits (using an ASCII editor -- NotePad, for example) must be made
   to the dviwindo.ini file, which resides in either c:\winnt or in
   c:\windows -- make sure to have your machine set up to display all
   (hidden) files and their extensions in order to locate the file.

   a. In the [Environment] section, add the following line:

      LATEX=c:\yandy\texinput;c:\yandy\tex\latex\\;c:\yandy\tex\base\\

      This is usually just above the BIBINPUT lines. This sets the
      path for LaTeX to find all its input files.

   b. In the [Applications] section, add the following line:

      LaTeX|F8=C:\YANDY\YANDYTEX\TEX.BAT +latex @.tex
            ^^
      This adds an entry in the TeX menu that you can pull down to
      process a LaTeX file. Make sure there is no duplication of
      F-key assignments ;-)

   c. If you want to also have access to old LaTeX 2.09, then add
      these two lines, to the two respective sections of the .ini
      file:

       i. LPLAIN=c:\yandy\texinput;c:\yandy\tex\base\\;c:\yandy\tex\latex209\\
      ii. LaTeX 2.09|F7=C:\YANDY\YANDYTEX\TEX.BAT +lplain @.tex
                     ^^

3. There are multiple locations for two different versions of the
   docstrip files:

   a. Docstrip.dtx    ..\tex\latex\base             8/7/00
   b. Docstrip.ins    ..\tex\latex\base             8/30/00
   c. docstrip.dtx    ..\tex\latex\unpacked         8/7/00
   d. docstrip.ins    ..\tex\latex\unpacked         8/30/00
   e. docstrip.tex    ..\tex\latex\unpacked         9/5/00
   f. docstrip.tex    ..\texinput                   1/8/98
   g. docstrip.tex    ..\yandytex\tex\texinput      1/8/98

   Delete all 1998 versions before processing any .ins files that
   require the docstrip package -- if you can't process an .ins
   file, do this and then re-try.

4. The /graphics subfolder is incomplete. Locate:

      d:\CTAN\LaTeX\required\graphics

   and copy graphics.ins into

       c:\yandy\tex\latex\required\graphics

   Now process this file (`latex graphics.ins') and watch it generate
   all the necessary files for graphics-related work.

5. In the same \graphics folder, again using an ASCII editor, create
   two config. files:

   a. graphics.cfg
   b. color.cfg

   The contents of both should be the following single line:

      \ExecuteOption{dvipsone}

   As mentioned, these two files should be installed in

      c:\yandy\tex\latex\required\graphics

6. There are some left-over files from the BibTeX upgrade:

   a. bibtex.exe (172kb) is duplicated in c:\yandy\utils -- delete,
      once you've confirmed that it is also in the proper location of
      c:\yandy\bibtex

   b. if you need Acm.bst, you'll find it in texinput\bstinput; for
      ease of use, please move to bibtex\bst. The \bibtex\bstinput and
      bibtex\bibinput contents are otherwise identical to the old
      folders which may still be present in c:\yandy\texinput.

=====   end of bug reports/fixes