Font question: New Baskerville for Y&Y

Christina Thiele cthiele at ccs.carleton.ca
Wed Nov 12 18:09:47 CET 2003

David Ireland writes:

> Dear Techsupport Group,
>
> I'm working on a file for a book that is in default Computer Modern and I
> want to change the whole thing to New Baskerville.  I have placed in a
> folder named YANDY\FONTS\nbaskerv all the New baskerville files I think I
> need (tfm, fd, vf, and type1 files, together with config.pnb and pnb.map).
>
> Please excuse me if I am being dumb here, but what do I need to do to get
> the font working in the tex file for the book?  The Companion is somewhat
> confusing on this.  (You'll probably have guessed this is the first time I
> have done this!)
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice offered.
>
> David Ireland

Robin's message about starting with the .afm files is the way to go.

The Technical Addendum does indeed talk about doing up fonts -- but
I'm getting supper ready so can't go searching just now ;-)

If you can wait till tomorrow ... or take the T.Add. to bed as
night-time reading material ... ;-))

The necessary conversion utilities are all in c:\yandy\utils, I think
it is. And the T.Add. should give you the basic info you need,
starting with the contents and purpose of the various font file
formats you need. The new alphabet-soup you'll be looking for includes
things like .afm, .pfb, .pfm, and once they're available, generating
the matching .tfm. That last one's the thing to keep an eye out for --
your .tfm files have to be in the same encoding as your other stuff,
default usually being texnansi ...

Oh my ... so much reading to make you go to sleep ;-))