More from Antoniou: That Win2000 font problem

Christina Thiele cthiele at ccs.carleton.ca
Thu Mar 27 11:24:08 CET 2003

Below is my reply to a message Antoniou sent yesterday. I'm
re-inserting the opening portions (to which I had no comments, but
which are needed here for completeness).

Ch.

====   the deleted opening portion of Antoniou's message:

> Christina,
>
> 1. Following your above email, I have changed the PATH entry for Type
> 1 fonts in file dviwindo.ini to read as follows:
>
> PSFONTS=C:\WINNT\Fonts
>
> 2.  I have dragged the fonts in E:\psfonts (the installation CD) to
>
> C:\WINNT\Fonts
>
> The pfm files are installed (the icons of these font show a red "a", I
> guess, for Adobe, as opposed to two superimposed T's for TrueType).
> When you click on a TrueType font icon, Windows 2000 will list the
> font, as you know.  However, if I click on the icon of a Type 1 pfm
> font, nothing happens.  Strangely, these fonts are accessible by other
> applications, e.g., Illustrator 10.  See sample file attached.
>
> NOTE: The pfb fonts will NOT install when I dragged them from the
> installation CD into the fonts folder.  Windows considers them to be
> corrupt and I get a diagnostic to that effect.  I think pfb files are
> not acceptable in the fonts folder.

Then carry on with my reply to him on points 3 to 5. I had also come
to the same question: if ATM isn't needed for font installation with
v.2.2, what role does it play/must it play after installation?

Ch.