DRAFT: message to Delayen and Stanislas re new bibtex stuff

Christina Thiele cthiele at ccs.carleton.ca
Wed Mar 26 10:30:20 CET 2003

Here's a draft text I'd like to send out after you've had a chance to
read/improve it.

Once sent, I'll have to put bibtex.exe + that one particular .csf file
at the Carleton ftp site, along with the bibtex.txt file that came the
first time from Berthold (which included details on the lines to add
the .ini file), and probably my own longish text which I'd mailed out
a few days ago. I _believe_they only need these two files (and the
.ini mods) in order to get things started; the remaining material they
can fetch later, once it's organised, no?

Ch.

=====

Gentlemen, you have both been in touch with support at yandy.com* about a
problem using bibtex.

It has taken a while (a long time, really! Much longer than we'd have
liked) to isolate the problem and to then arrange a fix.

The problem was in the bibtex.exe file, which, depending on your
version of 2.2 (yes, there are subversions which reflect housekeeping
changes -- the problem with bibtex.exe appears to have been in all of
them), may reside either in c:\yandy\util (early 2.2 versions) or in
c:\yandy\bibtex (the current and preferred location).

However, it is recommended that the revised bibtex.exe file now reside
in c:\yandy\bibtex, which also entails some other folder
modifications, details of which will be provided separately. There are
also now additional files which MUST be included, in order for the new
bibtex.exe to work properly.

We are organising the distribution of this updated bibtex material but
while that is going on, I would like to see that you both get it
now. I know it's late -- in fact, perhaps too late for M. Stanislas --
but nevertheless, I would like to ask you to do this upgrade so that,
should any additional wrinkles arise, we can address them, and thus
improve the existing documentation.

As an interim measure, I can place the bibtex.exe file + the other
crucial file(s) at a local university ftp site. Please let me know if
you are in a position to do ftp pick-ups, before I place the files
there.

I hope to hear from you soon. And again, please accept our apologies
for the delay.

Ch.

*This address is being phased out and a new support mechanism is being
 put into place: a `Forum' mailing list for all users to communicate
 with one another about Y&YTeX and Y&Y fonts. Please go to
 www.yandy.com and look under both News and Support for details.