draft reply to Sue Rodd

Christina Thiele cthiele at ccs.carleton.ca
Tue Mar 18 10:44:29 CET 2003

In light of Berthold's reply, I've adjusted this text:

   a. more emphasis on using the CDs only to install
   b. test with a simple file first
   c. appended the PS/EPS-related commentary at the end

If there are any additional texts that Berthold sends along (the
correct attachments), I think we should try to first see if they're
part of the general distribution and then simply tell her what
directory and filename to look for. While it's nice to have this stuff
coming by I think we should be encouraging people to read what's in
the /doc-misc directory. And it makes for much shorter e-mails ;-)

This surely should be enough to get her started. Anything additional
can be sent along later.

Ch.

====   new text for Sue Rodd:

1. Rename dviwindo.ini to dviwindo-old.ini (or some such).

2. Uninstall Y&YTeX 2.2 via the normal Win2000 mechanism.

3. Confirm that the v.2.2 CD has all the font folders needed. If any
   are absent, then check that they're available on the older v.2.1
   CD.

4. Remove all fonts that were just `slid across' from v. 2.1 -- make
   sure that none of them are required for any other applications.

     Remember that there are both .PFB files and .TFM files and
     ALL should go. Confirm what needs to be removed by looking
     at the contents of the v.2.2 CD font folders, which will be
     used for the new installation of fonts.

5. READ AND FOLLOW the Installation instructions on pp.4-5 of the
   smaller manual on font installation -- these have to be done
   BEFORE Y&YTeX is installed. Start with the 2.2 CD and then add
   anything left over from the 2.1 CD. That is, only use the CDs to
   install the fonts. Again, recall that `fonts' aren't just one file
   but two. Using the CDs makes this automatic so you shouldn't have
   to do anything but watch as everything gets installed where it
   should go.

6. Now go ahead and install 2.2 again. For production purposes,
   we would recommend installing every LaTeX option box there is --
   including 2.09 ... you never know when an old file may come along
   and you need to see what it's doing before upgrading its code.

   The new install will write a fresh dviwindo.ini file. Details on
   the .ini file's entries are on pp.11-17 of the smaller manual. It
   looks horribly intimidating, but if you go through it, line by
   line, a general sense of understanding can/will ;-) develop.
   However, it may well be that the whole problem is merely
   font-related (just don't drag those files around!) so the need to
   really really examine the .ini file _may_ be academic. One of those
   `We leave the analysis to the student, as an exercise' ... ;-)

   And for additional info-overload ...
      The FAQ portion of the Technical Addendum (pp.68-76) has
      several queries related to fonts, which may be helpful. As
      well, there are two FAQs up on the website (www.yandy.com)
      under Support -- while nominally on separate topics, there
      is always some overlap between `font' and `system' topics
      (as well as some duplication with the printed FAQ). Printing
      the FAQs up can make it easier to consult and compare various
      questions and answers.

7. Now try processing some files to see if things have settled down.
   Work on a simple file, without any graphics inclusions -- or just
   comment out references to graphics. Get the fonts and text to come
   out right first.

8. Below you'll find some additional comments on the error messages
   you'd reported, which are not actually font-related but
   image-related.

                ERROR: undefined
                OFFENDING COMMAND: Fit

   This appears to be an unrelated bug that has to do with some
   PostScript you are inserting. Perhaps an EPS file.

                STACK:

                -mark-
                /View
                1
                /Page
                -mark-

   This appears to be in the middle of some EPS file, probably one
   that was made specifically for some other DVI-to-PS driver. Contact
   the author of the paper and tell him to provide standard EPS.

=====

END OF DRAFT REPLY