creating PDF files

Christina Thiele cthiele at ccs.carleton.ca
Mon Jun 16 09:51:27 CEST 2003

George W. Benthien writes:

> I have a fairly long TeX document. If I convert to PDF by printing to
> Acrobat Distiller out of DVIWINDO it takes several minutes to convert.
> However, if I print to a PostScript file and then distill this file, the
> conversion is very rapid. Do you know why there is such a time difference
> and if there are any other advantages to using the first approach?

I see there's been no reply to your query of June 3 ... Let me point
you to a few sources of documentation which may shed light on your
query.

I _think_ it's possible that the difference is due to the difference
which exists between DVIWindo and DVISPONE. In the Technical Addendum,
there's a largish section on this:

   3.1. DVIWindo printing versus DVIPSONE printing

Indeed, all of section 3 is about `Printing'. You may well find some
nugget buried therein.

I believe that there are several .txt information files that come with
Y&YTeX that related directly to acrobat, pdf, and related topics. I'd
recommend a search on *.txt in c:\yandy and poke around there.

Let us know what you find out.